Sunday, October 01, 2006

How Rob Reiner Handles Actors


Every director has a method or two in their repertoire on handling sometimes 'difficult' actors.

John Huston once said "Talk to them about things they don't know. Try to give them an inferiority complex. If the actress is beautiful, screw her. If she isn't, present her with a valuable painting she will not understand. If they insist on being boring, kick their asses or twist their noses. And that's about all there is to it." (Okay so the man was a little troubled but I still love his films.)

Rob Reiner doesn't use the late John Huston's method. But once he told a story about a 'difficult' situation he was in during the early days of shooting on one of his films. The actress is not Kathy Bates, I just loved that photo of Reiner's laugh.

To hear Rob Reiner tell a story is a treat. He utilizes a command of voice, inflection, musicality and language that simply must be heard. He is one of the great story tellers of our time. I'm sorry you can't be a fly on the wall for this one. And to lay out a disclaimer - after some thought I am a bit reluctant to tell this story because it could embarrass our antagonist whom we will refer to as Arcas.

Arcas is a terrific, accomplished actor. When Arcas takes on a character the two become one. Arcas is an actor you want in your movie. So when I use the word 'difficult' I don't mean someone who shows up late, doesn't know their lines and resembles the attitude of Lina Lamont. Arcas' difficulties may have stemmed from being overly passionate about the part. I don't know but I can sense that I'm stalling, so here it is.

They were on set rehearsing a very tough scene for several days. Reiner said he was beginning to feel tense, he was thinking about the budget, and he wanted to move on and shoot the scene. It was in the first few days of production where pace is important to Reiner. Only Arcas kept rehearsing, trying out different approaches, and privately trying Reiner's nerves. Reiner wanted to speed it up. But he also didn't want to step on toes so early into the film.

That morning Arcas began rehearsing and didn't stop. If I remember correctly Reiner kept asking Arcas if he was ready to go. Arcas kept saying not yet. Or something like that. Doesn't matter. It boiled to a head. Finally, just before lunch, Arcas said, "I'm ready". To which Reiner responded "Okay, great, that's lunch"

With that announcement Reiner had reminded Arcas that Reiner was the boss. Now imagine yourself as a world class conductor with a hundred piece orchestra. And you have a world class soloist who's been rehearsing the part for hours, if not months and years when you think about it. The orchestra sits - ready to enter at the motion of your baton. Everyone is primed. Better than primed. They are raring to go. Ready to go because they have trained for this moment all of their lives. Your soloist, who's talent notches above the orchestra, finally says he's ready... And you call a break.

Reiner said that after he called the break he had some massive second thoughts. "What have I done? This is only the fifth day with 85 days to go. Will it be like this from here on out?" With those second thoughts Reiner went to his trailer. But what you gotta know about Reiner is this; he's a brilliant thinker with unbreakable logic. When he worries and tells you he's worried it makes sense. You can't refute anything because he's already mapped out the scenarios like a chess player. He's not someone you want to argue with. So, as he enters his trailer he's in a self-imposed barrage of what-ifs. About ten minutes into his lunch there was a knock on his door.

Arcas entered the trailer and began pouring his heart out about his doubts and insecurities until he eventually broke down sobbing. Arcas said he was going through a difficult period in his life. He apologized for taking so much time. He so wanted to get it right and make Reiner love his performance that he screwed things up just 5 days into the shoot. Arcas cried so hard, was so full of agony that Reiner cradled Arcas like a baby in his arms.

After lunch they shot the scene. It is one of the best scenes in any of Reiner's films.

Technorati Tags:
, , , ,


22 comments:

yasser said...

coming up on monday?

Jules said...

I'm adorable! ;-)

Jules said...

p.s. - love the new header. Def. worth all of the html stress.

Peg said...

OK, so you're leaving us on the edge of our seats to hear how Reiner handles actors...No Fair, I say!!

lufra said...

i want to put some images on my blog, on the right side, but i'm not able...can u help me please?
(sorry for my english!!!)
:)

Cullen said...

Please, please, please tell me Reiner uses a cattle prod. His street cred would go up so much with me.

Anonymous said...

Tag Away.

Scott Stambler said...

this is gonna be great.

Rose, consider yourself TAGGED! Thank you.

I need 4 more meme'ers



julie, you are adorable. if i've said it once....

Peg - the teaser might backfire. the story better live up to the hype or Portnoy is in hot water.

Crashdummie said...

Yupp, now your next post has alot of expectations to live up and will determinate the future of your blogg...

But don't feel pressured or anything :p

Sal said...

Now I'm going to have to try to work out who the actor is ... or am I being dim, and everyone else has got it already?

wcdixon said...

Great story again...but now looking for one of your 'handling the biz' tales

Ripple said...

Hey, you got a real good blog here. Iliked your Gilbey Clarke story. Rob Reiner is still an idiot in my book.

Cullen said...

Yeah, not much of a Rob Reiner fan myself either. But this is a great story.

Jules said...

I still don't know who it is, but I'm going to pretend it's Tom Cruise, because that makes it funnier somehow.

Bobby Griffin said...

Hey Portnoy,

Great blogging, as usual. I just wanted to let you know that your top image is formatting weirdly in Firefox. Might wanna look into that!

Me. Here. Right now. said...

Great story--I love these, and your perspective is wonderful.

Peg said...

Hmmm....interesting...reminds one that actors and directors and 'celebrity' types are in fact human. Easy to forget sometimes when they're made 'larger than life'. I could see myself doing exactly what Reiner did, were I in his shoes--Both in calling 'lunch' and in comforting the puddling actor afterward.

Um...I am dumb--I don't know who the actor is either...LOL

High Power Rocketry said...

Good film though

David said...

As ever, a fantastic post. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

hello!
i'm italian
your blog is beautiful
i have got a blog:
www.superjuventus.blogspot.com
you go in my blog and you write a comment
by

Ballpoint Wren said...

Yowza, Portnoy, you need a spam blocker, or something!

Okay, I tried rearranging the letters in Arcas, and came up with... Craas. Carsa. Sacra.

So... was it... was it... Andre the Giant?

Anonymous said...

Great post. Really interesting to someone not in your business. I happen to really like Rob Reiner as a director. He took one of my favorite books, The Princess Bride, and didn't ruin it when he made it into a film. I'm glad I stopped in and yes, the picture of Richard Gere caught my attention.