Thursday, October 12, 2006

"When Harry Met Sally" and Movie Magic


When Harry Met Sally began with a script by Nora Ephron. It became an iconic (there's that word again) date movie / comedy of the late 80's. "I'll have what she's having" transports us to one scene that brought an audience into such fits of laughter that it drowned out everything else. Those laughs lasted 13 seconds straight. (I know because I counted the seconds during the previews) If I can pull it off I'll write about the elements that brought that movie together. But it won't be easy. Just when you think you think you have a foothold on Magic - you find yourself flat on your butt wondering what just happened.

I read the script "When Harry Met Sally" which may have been titled Boy Meets Girl, but I could be wrong. It was a while back. What I remember distinctly was being on my couch turning pages and at one point I laughed so hard I rolled off the couch. This is true.

When a group of us saw the director's cut which had no music other than Bing Crosby after the orgasm scene - we walked out of the small theatre and oddly, no one seemed to know they had this monster hit on their hands. Maybe they were afraid to say anything out loud. There was no buzz. It was a bunch of highly talented professionals discussing where to eat lunch.

There was Rob Reiner, Nora Ephron, Bob Leighton (Reiner's longtime editor), Marc Shaiman (now: A-list film composer. film producer and Broadway powerhouse - then; just another very talented musician paying rent in Laurel Canyon). I think Barry Sonnenfeld, the director of photography was there with the producers Andy Scheinman and Jeff Stott. And the exit talk went like this- Would the audience buy into Billy as a leading man? Wasn't Meg just about the cutest thing you ever saw? Hey has anyone heard of a kid named Harry Connick Jr? That kind of thing. Definitely no magic yet.

Continued. The Elements Of Magic

Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , , ,

7 comments:

none said...

Moments of movie magic are few and far between. I don't even think the writers or directors know which
scenes are going to be considered magic.

David Zucker and John Landis were able to do it quite often.

Bobby Griffin said...

You made a "Bomb Squad" image the "Random Blog Button" link?? You're weird, but I like your thinking! Sorry I didn't respond about BlogAds, I did sign up, but haven't found out quite where I want to post it on my site yet, but I sincerely thank you!

P.S. I'm not just here to take up comment space, I did read your post!!

Scott Stambler said...

bobby - take all the space you need.

and i figured the bomb squad link will make 'em curious. or motivate you to get me a nice image....

best to you.

P

wcdixon said...

A teaser post - you ganna write this one with 3 acts to a big climax? Nice...

Sorry to fade out this week - just been too busy.

alphawoman said...

One of my favorite movies and favorite scenes!

Irene said...

I love this movie! I can't wait for your next part of the behind-the-scenes story! c",)

Scott Stambler said...

wc - actually the post is a novel in scope it's a lot to tackle and i've been fighting some flu or something.

i'm almost done with part 2 but it's turning into a class on film criticism.... a class i am unfit to teach.