Sunday, October 29, 2006

Linky Love, and Genius Comedy



Shortly after Abbott and Costello teamed up, they honed the sketch, using the nicknames of then-contemporary baseball players like Dizzy and Daffy Dean to set up the premise. In 1938 burlesque producer John Grant, working with Abbott and Costello, asked Will Glickman, a staff writer on The Kate Smith Hour radio show, to sharpen and amplify the Baseball Routine for performance on the show. This version, with extensive word play based on the names of contemporary baseball players became known as "Who's On First". By 1944, Abbott and Costello had the routine copyrighted.

Unless I get some Bill Gates-Like donations I have to keep working for a living. Which is an apology for a lack of posts. I'm loving these comedy routines. It was this, Bill Cosby's Cake For Breakfast or Groucho Marx. Wouldn't it be amazing if there is someone out there who hasn't seen this routine?

6 comments:

none said...

Cosby's cake for breakfast was one I listened to over and over as a kid.

..dad is great...gives us chocolate cake...

Crashdummie said...

Actually, I haven’t seen this routine before…

Peg said...

LOL!! A classic, for sure!

Stacy said...

I love Who's on First! I have these little dolls that are standing on a mound and the do the whole routine. One of my all time favorites.

Anonymous said...

What do you mean you don't know anything about baseball?! You know Who's on First! ;)

I've been working for a living too. Yuck.

*********

Having trouble establishing my "identity" here. Hmm. Anyway. Toodles from Sophmom, as in dotcalm. Thanks for stopping by to say hi. I've been ignoring my blog pretty badly.

Mimi Lenox said...

Hi Portnoy. Great stories here! I really enjoy your site.