Monday, October 09, 2006

James Gray - Genius?


Genius. The word is over-used. And yet occasionally - it is right on the money. In 1994 James Gray made a film called Little Odessa. While attending USC Film School Gray looked up to the following luminaries: Kurosawa, Fellini, Kubrick and Francis Ford Coppola. After Little Odessa came out Gray received many congratulatory phone calls. Agents, producers, dealmakers. Out of those many calls one came from Akira Kurosawa. Another by Stanley Kubrick. Gray was 25 years old. Kurosawa's message went unreturned because Gray was too nervous to call him back.

I think there is only one other director to have released a film by 25. Steven Spielberg at 24. So what about this genius moniker we've all heard to death? "Genius" in wikpedia (the lazy man's reference guide) has some interesting concepts. One of them is the idea that some of the Master composers could hold five, six or even seven different melodies in their minds at once. They could write complicated music with many different parts all at once without having to hear it played. In comparison, the average person can only hold one melody in memory.

I was on my way home from work pondering that one. Go ahead and recall your favorite melody, then turn the radio on and try to hear just 2 melodies at once. Yeah, right. Another explanation of genius was the idea that a person could look at a pocketwatch and imagine every working part from the hands to the spring.

So with that high bar reminder let's use some caution before we call our favorite filmmaker, musician, artist, CEO, whatever... a 'genius'. With this proposal I've pretty much written myself into a corner on this post but let's see where it goes.

James Gray can do a number of things really well. He can play a highly proficient piano. He can discuss the depths of classical music with a classically trained composer. He can draw. (If I can find it I'll include a drawing he did for my daughter.) He can act. He can write. He's incredibly funny. When I met him on "The Yards" I had worked on so much previous drek that after viewing the images of his movie I felt refreshed. Like maybe there was still hope for a good film. (I don't believe good films have been made since 1975.)

When you watch a film and the images speak on an iconic level you know you're about to be a part of a serious job. Every director can manage a few of these images. Gray seems to hit every frame with them. I don't know how he does it but eventually people will study his work. Producing these images take a great deal of thought, planning and luck. Excluding the Director that includes a great DP, an excellent script and primo performances. It would be fun to know your favorite film images. (Let me know in your comments.)

I believe Gray's upcoming film We Own The Night will place him on the A-side of the known map. His script is tighter than his other films. (He might argue on that one.) The cast is also tightly wound. If all goes right you can say you read it here first. (Hey, that genius prognosticator - what's his name? Oh yeah, Portnoy! I read about Gray last year in Reel Hollywood.)

So how does Gray handle his cast? With vision and a strong hand. An actor who's a bit nuts had destroyed part of the set on one Gray's films. (Not mentioning which film) James let the actor go crazy and then made him pay for it. I mean, out of the actor's pocket. He told him, "Okay you're paying for this!" That got the actor's attention - like a parental correction.

When Miramax sent their notes on "The Yards" Gray took the notes from me and told me what he thought of them. By that I mean he ripped them out of my hand and burned them. As much as I appreciated that iconic effort it didn't sit so well with the big guy at Miramax. Not that he knew about the fire. But Gray's independent vision caused him more trouble than it was worth. I admire Gray tremendously for that fight. But, in the end, you can't go head to head with Harvey. You just can't.

The problem with studio notes: They don't go away. Many times they are conceived by inexperienced and insecure execs. Most of them don't seem to realize or care how those notes are perceived. (Which is problem one.) Many times words like 'whimsical', 'artsy', 'European' are used in the literal descriptions. The words ought to be. 'Needs more pace' or 'Needs a better transition' Instead they confuse (and anger) the filmmaker with abstract exec lingo. If you're a creative exec, please weigh in.

From the filmmaker's side - They have been working long hours trying every take, scrutinizing every frame of the film. They know what is there and what isn't there. Then there's the exec. They have one dominant money gene which determines the thrust of their notes. Unless that exec is an old schooler who knows how to make a film. (Not many left these days) Then the problem becomes - how does the exec get the filmmaker to trust him/her in regard to their notes. It's usually a nasty situation unless the director is Speilberg, Zemeckis and a few others including Woody Allen. Why? They don't do notes.

On a personal level - I tend to get sick of it all and want to leave Hollywood. (Please see my donation box in the lower right sidebar)

I know there are a few writers who read me. (imagine that) My online pal wc dixon may weigh in on this post. I hope it's not too technical or boring - or both. But maybe you get an idea of how much love and care can go into the making of a film. They don't call it a 'baby' for nothin.


Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , ,

13 comments:

Jules said...

Oh, alright! I guess it's worth the wait. ;-)

wcdixon said...

boy - lots to think about here. Going away to mull (and put twins to bed...lol) and then give all the points the attention and response, hopefully, they deserve.

Good Dog said...

Favourite film images:

These are the ones that immediately come to mind. Which means they are lodged in my brain.

01. The pull back to reveal the location of the heavenly amphitheatre in Powell & Pressburger’s A Matter of Life and Death.

02. The train arriving in Sweetwater and Jill bringing the workers water to quench their thirsts in Leone’s Once Upon a Time in America.

03. The transition from a hawk in flight to a swooping Spitfire in Powell & Pressburger’s A Canterbury Tale.

04. Noodles’ smile at the end of Leone’s Once Upon a Time in America.

05. Circling the Chrysler Building at the beginning of Ridley Scott’s Someone to Watch Over Me.

Kubrick’s Barry Lyndon.*

Ridley Scott’s The Duellists.*

* There are beautiful images in both but if I start looking for specific shots, I know I’ll end up watching them. And I really don’t have the time.

Anonymous said...

You think he'll still be around in the coming years like Spielberg or burn out and be sucked into all the Hollywood crap?

none said...

In the 70's and 80's I was an avid movie afficianado,I would sometimes see four a week.

All of the sudden I saw myself surrounded by a vast film wasteland.

It seemed that the artistry was taken out and replaced with cheap thrills and stereotypes.

Thanks for your article, I'm going to check out Gray's work.

Scott Stambler said...

good dog - which is your favorite P and P film? (I confess to having watched one - a war film i think - and wasn't crazy about it. Based on your comments I need to see more. Kubrick was a master with those images.(and probably a genius) the apes tossing the bone into the air... slim pickens riding the bomb...

hammer - i hope you enjoy them. many people think that films lost out since the mid 70's because of the blockbuster changing the model. occasionally a great movie comes along. i know people love the Titanics but i'm not one of them. Maybe I will create a closed link box of my favorite films. Most of them are 1939-1975. Later than that I tend to list French/Japanese cinema. There are a bunch of contemporary docus that I really like. and my definition of liking a film includes owning it / and watching more than once. Withnail and I was made in 1987. I love that film. The Big Lebowski was made in 1998. that movie kills me. Yeah, i guess I gotta work on a side bar link.... :)

capri - i don't think Gray will ever sell out to the masses. however there was an interesting comment made by Clooney about doing commercial films vs 'art' films. he says that as a producer you have to do both to get your passion films made. i appreciate his honesty / pragmatic side.

Jules said...

Hey you, I just wanted to warn you that having Google Adsense and other forms of advertising (such as Amazon and AdBrite) is against Adsense rules. You can't have any other ads besides theirs on your blog, and they will probably ban you and won't pay out any money you earned once they find out. Usually once you reach the $100 payout mark is when they investigate your site to make sure you're kosher, and at that point they'd start banging down your door. Bobby warned me about this, so I thought I'd pass along the info. I no longer use Adsense, just Adbrite and Amazon.com and it works for me.

Scott Stambler said...

i have reported myself to google adsense. their TOS is slightly ambiguous. if i am in violation of their TOS I'll dump adsense. I have a feeling Julie and Bobby can read a contract better than I can.

Anonymous said...

I love The big Lebowski as well, it's one of the few films I can watch over and over.

The Cohen brothers usually put out some good stuff.

Sin City was another one that kept my attention as well as The Boondock Saints.

I would like to see a side bar link
from you. From reading your blog, it seems we agree on what makes a good movie.

Scott Stambler said...

hammer - it is started! i have a few in there now. i was working on it when you commented....

of course i will add the Dude since i've seen it maybe 15 times.

Good Dog said...

Favourite P&P film? Oh, boy!

It would have to be A Matter of Life and Death.

Followed closely by The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.

Having Deborah Kerr play the role of the three women in his life was inspired.

Followed very closely by The Red Shoes.

Took a girlfriend to a special screening at London's National Film Theatre back in the 1980s. Powell was in attendance. It was his birthday. The whole audience sang "Happy Birthday" to him.

Followed by A Canterbury Tale.

Just inspired.

Followed by Black Narcissus.

Set in the Himalayas. Shot at Pinewood. Jack Cardiff's cinematography is beyond belief. Who knew a red lipstick could be so powerful.

Followed by Gone To Earth.

Bolloxed by Selznick but still a classic.

Head over to www.criterionco.com/asp

The Criterion Collection do much better P&P DVDs than what's available in the UK.

Apart from A Matter of Life and Death and Gone To Earth, they have all the above.

All show how tiny -- in imagination and design -- modern movies have become.

And the late, great Stanley K? Genius beyond belief.

Anonymous said...

Welles was 25 when he made Citizen Kane

Scott Stambler said...

yeah, i know there were a few others and hope I didn't infer that Gray was the ONLY guy to do it at that age. So he's in pretty good company with Welles. and Citizen Kane! yikes. that's bloody amazing, isn't it?