Friday, October 20, 2006

Iraq In Fragments



It seems that Reel Hollywood is growing. And I hope it is obvious how much I enjoy the writing, commenting and the community. After just 3 months it felt pretty good to get the following email.

Greetings from Typecast Releasing in Seattle, Washington!

I'm writing because on November 17th, in association with HBO Documentary Films, we'll be opening James Longley's award-winning documentary film, IRAQ IN FRAGMENTS, in Los Angeles, along with eight other US cities. We recently came across your blog and thought this film seemed like the sort of thing that you and your readers would be interested in.

A poetic three-part opus examining life in Iraq from the Sunni, Shiite and Kurdish points of view, IRAQ IN FRAGMENTS won the Best Director, Best Cinematography and Best Editing awards in the documentary competition at the 2006 Sundance Film Festival. You can read critic's reviews, read more about the film at Iraq In Fragments Website

We'd love for you to attend the advance press screening, and I've attached an invitation with RSVP details and more information to this email. Please let me know if you are able to come.


I have RSVP'd. It will be interesting if I can get a press pass as Portnoy from Reel Hollywood.

8 comments:

Stacy said...

Wow! Sounds very interesting. Don't forget to tell us how it goes.

ME said...

Look forward to hearing your thoughts once you see it. Better hope they don't want a real photo or the jig may be up. You should consider having some Portnoy business cards made up if you're going to keep getting invited to things. However, you are running the risk of being outed.

On the interesting doc front, did you happen to see the piece 20/20 did last night on The Bridge? Yowza.

Good Dog said...

Holy crap! That looks astonishing. Report back as soon as you're able.

Zen Wizard said...

You need to come up with a rating system that fits "Reel Hollywood."

Like, three film spools is "Good," but that has been taken.

Maybe forget tying in the "Reel" part and go with the "Hollywood" part, e.g., "5 Transvestite Hookers= Excellent; 4=Good, 3=Average; etc."

A really bad film would just get a Transvestite Hooker icon from the waist down.

Zen Wizard said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Scott Stambler said...

zen wiz

you have no idea how much you have read my mind regarding the review process. I don't like film reviews, I like to watch movies. I enjoy them or not. When you work on films I think the last thing you want to focus on is the story, the editing, the music, the acting. Unless it stinks. Then you end up focusing on what smells. Based on the trailer the photography looks great and the subject is something that interests me.

There is a place for review, but not from me. I was thinking of emailing the producer and suggesting they get a review from Keith over at Reel Fanatic He can write reviews and they are as good as anything I've seen.

Ballpoint Wren said...

Good for you! You deserve it, Portnoy. I expect you'll get lots more of these.

Shanti Marie said...

Good for you!