Monday, October 30, 2006

Jerry Goldsmith


A couple of weeks ago I was invited to a listening party by my friend Cliff Eidelman. Cliff is a film composer who can write a score from his kitchen table. You know, 12 staves of music, all in his head. No piano. Piece of cake. Cliff is a character. He has taken 10 years to write songs about his family and things that matter. He recorded them at Capitol Records Studio C. That's where the party was. Capitol Records in Hollywood is where that small band, The Beatles, recorded. I can't find any pictures of the interior but the place is a museum to the Beatles. Pictures line the walls. Pictures of Sinatra, The Beatles, Louis Armstrong. It's a place everyone should be able to visit. Anyway, I'll get back to Cliff.

When I was a wee lad I got a job at Fox Studios. I was a gopher. I was given a tour by a senior gopher named Dave. Dave really knew his way around the lot. He so loved movies his only way in was the Fox back door. Dave started in the Fox commissary. He got his highly coveted senior gopher job because he made extra large sandwiches for everyone he thought might hire him the fuck out of the commissary. And it finally worked.

On my first day Dave showed me the old writer's building, the Aaron Spelling offices, the mail room and finally the scoring stage. That's where I first saw Jerry Goldsmith. Jerry passed away in 2004. He has 312 credits to his name. That's Three Hundred and Twelve!

I suppose my love of films began when I watched Goldsmith record the score to Alien. Jerry had a commanding voice, and a kind voice. Watching him conduct was like watching an architect construct something great like the Pyramids or Taj Mahal, only Jerry did it with music. You can see an interview of him with Robert Osborn, where Goldsmith discuses having been nominated 18 times for an Oscar

Goldsmith was unique. When you heard a score you could say, "Damn, that's Jerry". There was a signature that identified him. But he was unique in that every score was vastly different. I don't know that you could say that for many film composers. Listen to RUDY or HOOSIERS or ALIEN. Even the lower budget stinker films had great scores by Goldsmith.

I have a few favorites. I love the title sequence to Papillon. I love the score to Chinatown. But I also love Under Fire which featured Pat Metheny on guitar. Yet another favorite is Goldsmith's recording of a television main title called Room 222. Now before you click on this link, close your eyes. Or close them after you click. But please listen to this short, gorgeous piece without the visuals because I think they get in the way. Ready? Go!

I guess I've been thinking a lot about these Masters of the Film Universe lately. It a sure sign that I'm getting old. I know there is some new talent, but leave me alone while I cruise memory lane. (Old AND grumpy) I've had my eye on Jon Brion. He's a wonderful talent. I've written about James Gray. But we shall see if these guys weather the Hollywood storm. Because that's the real test. For now I hope you can look back with me for a minute and appreciate these old farts. But stay with me. I want to finish with a funny Goldsmith story.

At the listening party I ran into Mike Lang. He's one of the pianists who worked a lot with Goldsmith.


They were recording the score to The Russia House. It's a brilliant jazz oriented score. If you want you can read a lot about it here. But do that later. The point is that Jerry hired Branford Marsalis to play sax. As Mike tells it, before the recording Jerry asked Mike to his home studio to lay down some complicated keyboard tracks. Mike and Jerry had a great relationship. But here's something I didn't know about Jerry. He was a trickster.

They get to the scoring stage. They run down the title cue which features Marsalis. Jerry conducts the rehearsal which is recorded. He walks into the booth and listens. He calls Lang into the booth. The musicians, including Marsalis hang on the stage where they can't hear the dialogue.

Jerry says, "Damn, Marsalis is playing every note." Mike asks, "Well what's wrong with that?" Jerry tells Mike he wants Marsalis to improvise a little. Mike says "Tell him". Jerry says "I don't know him, you tell him!" For 30 seconds it turns into the who's on first routine. Jerry is afraid to tell Marsalis, a monster player, to improvise a little. Lang gets more and more uncomfortable. He's seen Goldsmith command every major player for at least 20 years. He was wondering what the hell was happening. This was not the pecking order or how things worked.

As Lang refuses to tell Marsalis to play differently Goldsmith walks Mike back out to the stage where the musicians are waiting. He has his arm around Lang. He gives Mike a sweet smile and yells out "Hey Branford, Mike has something to tell you."

Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , , ,

16 comments:

Good Dog said...

Hate to seem so utterly obvious, but it's Chinatown and LA Confidential that are my clear Jerry Goldsmith favourites.

By the way, any idea what Dave is doing now?

wcdixon said...

Wonderful post - loved seeing/hearing Room 222 titles again...and got me thinking about fav film scores and composers, but save that for another time.

A question, beside a fair number of Goldsmith's credits on IMBD is says: (score withdrawn) (uncredited) - what does this mean exactly in Hollywoodville (especially the score withdrawn part)?

Zen Wizard said...

Truly a workhorse of the industry.

And scoring is underrated. What would Superfly be without the wah wah pedal guitar?

On that note, I will walk away...

(Woo-chicky woo-chicky woo-chicky woo...)

Kalinnka said...

I like your writing and stories :D
I learn English more and more ...

Scott Stambler said...

good dog

Dave is still at Fox. He's stayed single. Saved every penny. and pretty much does the same gig. Only now he takes naps during the day and goes home early. He is still at Fox.

wc - it means they scored with him but got into differences and hired some one else and it happens to the best of them. Wall Street - i remember something about him and Oliver Stone getting into it. i think Stone used stuart copeland in the end.

the coolest thing I have ever heard about scoring a film was from Brian Helgeland. He said there are only two writers on a film. The screenwriter and the composer.

Scott Stambler said...

Kalinnka,

my special friend! Kalinnka was my very FIRST incoming link. Look at her site. She posts some beautiful photographs. This, I believe, was her first comment. Cool!

LukeBuckham said...

1) "Music" is part of a terrorist plot to destroy capitalism

2) Music is what happens when it rains

3) Music is what happens when it stops raining

4) "Music" is part of a capitalist plot to destroy terrorism

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by tunequest. I enjoyed this anecdote about Jerry.

As for the question you asked me: it's a WordPress plugin call Audio Player. It's basically a Flash wrapper for an mp3 file. Since your site is on blogger.com, I'm not sure it will work for you but you could check it out anyway. Maybe there's a modified version.

Anonymous said...

I can't listen to the music links 'til I get home. Wouldn't go over great at work. *sigh*

At least I get to go home tonight! The bad news is the good news, no baseball.

I know I must be completely dense but I don't think I really got the joke at the end about asking Branford.

Now I can comment normally. On the last one (Who's on First), the "Choose an identity" console didn't appear below the comment field. Hmm.

You have very, very interesting stories, Portnoy.

Scott Stambler said...

SOPHMOM

It's my fault you didn't get the joke. this post was hastily re-written after spening 2 hours plus and losing everything thanks to Safari.

The thing about Goldsmith. When he walked onto a scoring stage he was like Patton. A general, a god even. Musicians were at attention and ready to play. And these are some of the top players in the world.

Goldsmith didn't pussy foot around. He knew exactly what he wanted and conducted an orchestra as a true Maestro.

He wasn't shy. He wasn't afraid to tell Marsalis to play differently. He was fooling around with Mike Lang as a practical joke. And I think that was one of the highest backhanded compliments he could have paid to Lang.

Infinitesimal said...

Hi,

Just caught your comment at hammers blog re: attitude adjustment.
I' be happy to bitch anybody out for you, just come over to my blog and tell me who has irked you...

Dr. A said...

Thanks so much for the link to odeo. I'm going to have to check that out.

I meant to tell you before, I found you through Bestest Blog and I've liked what I've read. Keep it up. I'm going to add you to my links.

Peg said...

Thanks, P, for stopping by my kvetch!!

Keep on sharing the h-wood stuff--it makes me feel like I'm there a little bit, on the 'inside', you know?

Best,
Peg

nomwl1 said...

Hi Portnoy!

Thanks so much for clueing me in about your story at my blog! You're right, I did enjoy it!! :))

mel said...

Hi Portnoy,

I don't know whether you subsequently found any pictures of Capitol studios, so, if not, here's where you can see them:
http://www.capitolstudios.com/cshome.html

Regards - Mel.

David said...

A fantastic post. Thank you so much for sharing.