Saturday, September 16, 2006

You're The First Person To Complain

Yes, you are the first person to complain. No one else has mentioned it because its never happened before. Have you ever heard that response? How does that make you feel? It makes me want to own a gun or a hummer. Especially when I look them in the eye and they puntuate sentances with that closed lip smile which actually means "You're not gonna get a refund, a manager or any satisfaction whatsoever." And beyond that it means "You are the kind of individual we call a troublemaker." In other words and gestures "We do not like you and please don't make us say it again. May I help the next in line...."

I think the phrase may have originated at Microsoft Tech Support but I've heard it from disingenuous Front Desk Clerks to mildly annoying Food Servers. I've heard the Teamsters Local 666 (Food Servers, Hotel Workers, Air Line reservations), The FDA Drug Review Board, Almost Every Software Company, Car Dealerships, AT&T (Billing Department), World Alliance of Bed and Breakfast Owner Operators. Sprint, Nextel, Comcast, AOL (ever try canceling your membership?) And You Name It They've said "It never happened before!"

Seriously, am I exaggerating? During the 2004 Inlaw Xmas Holidays we stayed at The Glen Sanders And we were there almost a week. It was damn pleasant until a Friday night marriage party. From our room we could hear the band. (It sucked but played until 2am) Did I complain? No. Not until 3:30 am when the 25 drunks, six doors down the hall and up another floor, woke my kids for the second time. The next morning (if you could call it that) I complained to the polite-smiling hotel clerk. (Whom I wanted to knock out her contact lens) She said "No one has ever complained about the noise before." I told her I had. When I asked (because I didn't want to scream at her) she said, "The manager is not here." Later my wife wrote a letter to the owner. We didn't get an apology, a discount or, as we say in Yiddish, Bupkiss. Now if you have ever stayed at a chain like The Holiday Inn and the alarm goes off at some horrendous hour because house cleaning didn't turn it off the day before- guess what? Tell the front desk and they credit you a night. Just like that. You know why? Because they know it HAS happened before.

Here are some linked googled examples. Oh, you're the first to complain about it or this guy who was One Unhappy Dell Customer

And then there are these Google advanced search forum finds

I am sorry you did not like the room you stayed in and did not find the decor to your liking. The decor in this room is very similar to all our ensuite rooms and I am pleased to say that to my knowledge you are the first person to complain about this decor. As you know decor is a subjective matter so perhaps it was just not to your liking.

Ali made this comment, "There is so much negativity on this site and it's mostly people saying the same things." You know what, DJ? You are the first person to complain about the negativity but look at what your responses have been...I bet you don't count YOUR negativity when you talk about the overall negativity of the site do you? Do you think you're exempt? You're not. Nobody was even talking to you or about you and look at how negative your comments are. Uh huh. Right. Moving on....

Can you prove that? Over 80,000 people have read my post, I don't know how many followed it all, but I guess it's a fair amount. Since posting that thread, you are the first person to complain! Not everybody managed all of it, but NOBODY got their PC messed up! Now who is wrong?

Jun 8, 2006 I have had 2 significant problems with my TL (2005). Acura tells me that no one else has complained. I would like to verify that ??

Zippy said "Are these rules insulting? No one else has complained." Thats fine Zippy. That quote from you is good enough for me to leave the forum for good. Take care guys. Its been fun.

http://gercohen.wordpress.com/2006/08/12/hello-world/
That's Not Me, I look more like Richard Gere

3 comments:

Scott Stambler said...

What the hey, I'll be the first to comment. Actually this is an addendum to phrases that are rapidly propelling me to the Valium bottle. Ready. (Apologies, but you gotta work in the film business to appreciate this one)

We Don't Have Any Money.

wcdixon said...

is the translation: We don't have any money...for you. ?

And i've been to that Guitar Centar in Sherman Oaks...but never the 'back room'.

A good 'first person to complain' story isn't coming to mind...but I'm pretty non-confrontational - don't remember ever complaining a whole lot...even when I should've.

Scott Stambler said...

I think this post needs to be a stand-up routine. I spent WAY too much time with the research. although people do compare me (not in looks) to Larry David when it comes to complaining. Personally i think the SOB stole my personality.

GC in Sherman Oaks. You walk past the electric guitars.

Although if you're looking for a guitar I added a link to the sweetest sounding acoustic I have ever purchased. I gotta write up a post all about Scott Van Linge.

BTW - Will, thanks for the mention today.

lastly - we don't have any money means (supposedly) that Everyone is taking a cut for the love of the project.