Sunday, September 17, 2006

Wanna Date My Lawyer?

Essentially it was a poetry reading at a Venice gallery that my lawyer, Virginie, asked me to attend. Virginie is everything you could hope for in a lawyer. She's smart, a tough negotiator, cares about human beings and animals, and she's Parisian hot. She writes lovely haunting poetry, owns a house where she keeps this very large black stallion and a donkey named Jacques. So what's the problem? She needs a man. I know this sounds Neanderthal but it's true. And as a man I scratch my Neanderthal head and wonder. 'How is it such a beautiful woman can't hook up?' And trust me I've seen men (and some women) swoon over her. Virginie says that she's so forceful a presence, only men who drink have the balls to approach her. So she's been with a couple of very nice but heavy drinkers. Well, that phase is over.

Skipping forward to the closing of the gallery. Around 11 pm I said goodbye to V and her friends. It was a very pleasant night. The Santa Anas were blowing. I had one shot of cheap vodka and a smoke before I went home. You know, it was a party. (I never drink and rarely leave the house) I sat on the edge of some planter and thought about all the beautiful women I had just seen and talked to. (More on them later) From a discreet distance I watched Virginie and her friends walk outside, heading for another party - you know how those French women like their evenings. Well, in that light V was so beautiful I actually prayed for her. 'Find her a lovely, sensitive yet strong man, would ya?' I felt like lighting a candle right then and there. So, if you're an answer to that prayer leave a comment and a link. I'll email her. As for her physical requirements - a tall (not too tall) facial haired musician/artist/writer who loves horses and maybe speaks French is a plus who exudes plenty of confidence without the help of Cuervo. And fyi - she likes hair. I mean men with hair also on their head. I think V is around 32 so you do the math. As far as a prototype I know she really goes for Josh Ritter

Alright back to the party - an hour earlier. I am not a big fan of poetry readings. It's not that I dislike poetry. I've read and listened to a bunch of poetry. My wife is a published poet. (and exceptionally good looking) I think if I heard Octavio Paz reading his work I could get into that. But that would have to have been before 1998. Better yet, Scarlett Johansson could read some moderately good poetry and I would love it. Before you slam me I'm referring to her voice. Although she's not unpleasant to watch. Whatever, I'm rambling. I don't much like going to parties. I cannot make small talk so I say what's on my mind or shut up. Hence the following.

There's yet another sultry babe friend of Virginie's at this party. She's a development exec. Around 30. Dark haired California girl with brains. The kinda girl I used to go for in my single days. Only now I realize what a HUGE mistake those women were. Or, had I a rewind button, last night's woman. Here's why. She tells me she wants to get married and settle down in, "like 2 years," she adds. Only she's dating her ex-boyfriend and some other guy simultaneously. Call me old fashioned but how does this woman focus on her love life? I asked her if these two guys knew about each other. She said no. I asked her if those two guys were also dating, perhaps four other women. She said she didn't want to know. I was about to tell her that I thought she might be juggling too much to figure out who and what she wanted but anoither women entered the conversation and I let it be. Which was good because I didn't have more than a news-byte of an argument until later.

And this would have been my argument. The thing is - I think it's important to face the pain of loneliness because it can morph into something powerful. Maybe you have to pass a certain age or relationship threshhold before taking May Sarton's advice. Years ago I took Sarton to heart. I went on a May Sarton binge. Spent many months happily alone. Traveling. Feeling the inner dude. Here is Sarton's beautiful book Journal Of A Solitude

Anyway I didn't get into an argument or dating discussion with the D-Girl with 2 boyfriends. I pitched Gerad Jones to her. I am really liking his book Ginny Good But I doubt she listened. Hollywood doesn't thrive on listening but that's another post.

I'm starting a Chris Rock film tomorrow. Rock falls under the heading of nice guys with talent. Can't say much due to all the confidentiality agreements. But I'm a lucky so and so.

Ps - Note to single dudes. Add poetry readings to laundromats, coffee bars and other opportunities.


Technorati Tags:
, , , , , ,


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Raymond Chandler watch out...oh, wait, he's dead. Okay, Mickey Spillane, then. Whoops. He dead, too. Mr. Kurtz? Drop the title on any D-Girl you see. G.

wcdixon said...

So, your wife is exceptionally good looking...you are mistaken for Richard Gere = exceptionally good looking - so what I guess yer saying is...

Cullen said...

Perhaps I'm just too pedestrian, but poetry always seemed so self-indulgent, from the author's perspective. Masochistic from the listener.

Just not a poetry fan. Not anyone living anyway.

Scott Stambler said...

wc - description of wife is true but was also a last minute editorial insert for a Just In Case moment. Like just in case she read it (and she did) or just in case she read it and was in a bad mood. One needs to prepare for those moments just in case.

cullen - i think of some poetry as music, some as lessons that cut deep into the heart, some as amusing wordplay and some as incomprehensible. I am a fan of Billy Collins (not his most recent) I am always stunned by the work of Paz (but he is dead) Nope, I doubt you're too pedestrian, i think it's the inner wrestler who won't let you enjoy poetry.

wcdixon said...

Ha!

So you are good looking AND smart...she should feel very lucky (tell her I said that)

shannon said...

Married in, "like 2 years," huh?

Heh. When you're 30, you still think 2 years is so far away, that you'll be a different person by then.

Ah, the foibles of youth . . .

Scott Stambler said...

shannon,

you're the first woman to comment. and i already know how together you are. so, essentially, you don't count :)
i AM kidding.

Anonymous said...

"Kinda hot?" Kinda hot is the girl in the supermarket whom you have a suspision cleans up good, as they say back home. Virginie is not kinda hot, she's beautiful... owns-the-room beautiful, could-rule-the-world beautiful, don't-hate-me-because-i'm-beautiful beautiful, and yes, can't-believe-she's-single beautiful.

kris said...

Well, in that light V was so beautiful I actually prayed for her.

Swoon.

Any woman would be flattered - nay, charmed - to have such words written about her. In permanence. On the Internets.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm knocking on the door of 33, and as you might expect such kind words make a woman with a walker weak in the aluminum knees.

Hmmmm. Maybe this single woman needs to add poetry readings to her list of viable hangouts . . . ;)