Friday, November 10, 2006

Marshal Jed Cooper


I have always wanted to meet Clint Eastwood. My father worked with him in White Sands, New Mexico on a film called Hang Em High. That was 3 years before Dirty Harry, I don't think Eastwood was a household name yet. My dad came back from that film with a cowboy tan. Very dark arms, tanned face but with legs whiter than Will Ferrell. I can't remember any stories about the movie or Clint. I wish the hell I could. My dad died about 11 years later.

The Clint story I have is second hand. I heard it from Brian Helgeland, one of the top screenwriters in town, who was working with Eastwood on Mystic River. Helgeland has a quiet, very smart way about him. His Payback Straight Up Interview reveals a man who can not only write well but tell great stories during interviews.

Mystic River. Directed by Clint Eastwood, the mysterious drama Mystic River is based on the novel by Dennis Lehane and adapted by screenwriter Brian Helgeland. Set in an Irish neighborhood in Boston... I think Helgeland had to do some cajoling to get Clint to shoot in Boston. I don't know how much, and I don't know for sure if that's what went down. But Helgeland and Eastwood were scouting neighborhoods in Boston. It was a hot summer night. Insurance wise you have a Film Corporation and a twice nominated Oscar screenwriter walking by themselves in a neighborhood where they could have been hurt. As Helgeland described Eastwood he explained that Eastwood is a man of few words. He's incredibly thoughtful and when he speaks everybody listens. So they were walking quietly down the street at Eastwood's deliberately slow pace. They walked to the early evening sounds, getting the feel and maybe considering images for the film. Or maybe they were just walking off dinner.

Because of the summer heat everyone had their windows open. It was around 7 pm. Helgeland said they walked down a row of houses and as they passed one house he heard a man yelling to his wife. "Hey, Come to the window. You won't believe it! Clint Eastwood just walked past our house!" They kept walking. The wife's angry voice said "Shut Up! I told you, you drink too much." Helgeland and Eastwood were nearly at the end of the block. The Husband, "No I'm tellin ya it's goddamn Clint Eastwood! He walked right past our house!" As Helgeland told it they kept walking. Quietly. While the house with the angry couple yelled at each other, Eastwood's face didn't crack a millimeter.

A few weeks back, at night - I was hanging alone on a quiet street near The Blue Whale (The Pacific Design Center) It was a strangely sad night. I stared up at the building as it changed colors. I reviewed things as you do when you can think without distractions. Then I saw the unmistakable outline of Marshal Jed Cooper. It was goddamn Clint Eastwood. He was walking a young woman to her car. She was a film director by the way they spoke. She thanked "Mister Eastwood" for watching her movie. He wished her luck and walked down Melrose. By himself. Slowly.

And I wanted to yell at my dad and tell him that I just saw goddamn Marshal Jed Cooper.

Technorati Tags:
, , , , ,

7 comments:

Meowkaat said...

There's no one else like him. Anywhere.

Sophmom said...

Ooo... I guess I'm showing my age but I think he was pretty famous after doing the three Leone films, A Fist Full of Dollars, A Few Dollars More, and most especially, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (can't you still hear that haunting whistle and answer score?). He was one badass dude (at least 'til Paint Your Wagon).

Cool story. Thanks for sharing that.

Scott Stambler said...

sophmom,

i think you are right. i glanced at the imdb credits too quickly when i wrote the post. (The Leone films are awesome.) And in regard to another comment you made, i turned off the anonymous comments - someone was pasting their web site in various comments several times.

meowkatt - ain't it the truth. there are some people in hollywood that make me feel like someone who has never worked in hollywood. Clint is one of them. Several years ago I was working on a Norman Jewison film and he got a call from Paul Newman. Newman told Jewison that he was giving up racing. I had the same feeling - damn that was Paul Newman...

Zen Wizard said...

I always thought Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was underrated.

He totally captured the weirdness of Savannah, I thought.

Sophmom said...

Dang, Zen. I'd totally forgotten Midnight... was CE. You're right.

Portnoy. No worries. Sorry about the comment spam.

Peg said...

Great story--you know, I find myself wanting to say something along those lines to my mom...And I do. When no one's paying attention, or around, I talk to her, and tell her.

Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure she hears me.

Jules said...

I love the part about the husband who's wife wouldn't believe it was Clint Eastwood. And he didn't even crack a smile? Interesting.