Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Moral Majority of One and the MPAA

Several weeks ago I took my 10 year old daughter to see Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. Don't get me started but that film felt about ten hours long, and its convoluted story annoyed the hell out of me. Yes, I enjoyed the first one. I think Gore Verbinski is a very good, very slick (in a good way) director. And who doesn't love Johnny Depp? But Dead Man's Chest was product placement-consumption gone awry-everything that makes Hollywood smell like the inside of a an obese armpit. Ahhhh, I am veering WAY off the road. Rewind back to the trailers.

The theatre ran the trailer for
  • The Descent

  • It scared my ten year old.

    Hell it gave me the heeby jeebies

    A week went by and I kept thinking how that trailer should not have played with a kid's movie. I called a few friends and asked them if they ever noticed an R Rated trailer in a kid film. They said they had not. I gave it more thought and decided that it wasn't right. I called the MPAA and told them when I saw it, where I saw it. I told them I like movies. I want movies to make money. I work in movies. Two weeks later they called me and said the trailer was deemed objectionable and was pulled.

    So - here I am, a moral majority of One experiencing instant gratification in the world of Political Action. It reminded me of the time I worked on a non union film and I reported myself to the union. That motivation to get off the film didn't work. The Union thanked me and told me not to worry about it. You win some.

    1 comment:

    wcdixon said...

    Good for you - my 10 year olds (twins) would've been scared too...