Monday, August 21, 2006

Clapton The Meeting

I got a call that I would be working with Eric Clapton. It was a Sunday. I called the Hotel where he was staying and asked for him by his codename. I left a message on his voice mail. I instructed my family to do the following: DO NOT ANSWER OUR PHONE! I wanted Clapton on my incoming answering machine, what can I say?

Well, of course I broke the rule and there he was on the other line. I introduced myself. Told him about the work and asked if he wanted to meet over the next day to review the project. He said he'd come by the office the next day. The building (the same one where Ms. Hurley threw a small fit) is not an easy layout. So I instructed Clapton to go to reception. The next day I called reception and said I had a visitor coming. I didn't leave the name of the visitor. I told them to ring me when "The Visitor" arrives.

My office phone rings. It's reception. They have seen plenty of celebrities. The call went like this. "This is reception. A mister Er, Er, Eric Clapton is here." I walked through the labyrinth and met him. We walked back to my office. Before we got there I stopped and told him "Eric, I just wanted you to see the work and what you would be recording so that when you get into the actual sessions you would be relaxed, with no surprises." (I was nervous as hell)

Clapton smiled at me and said "Thanks mate, but there's not too much of life that makes me nervous anymore. But if it makes you more relaxed that's a good thing"

I sighed and thanked him. From that point on he was a zen master. After working with him I wanted to retire. That's how awesome he was. If anyone ever reads this blog I'll tell more Clapton stories....




More Of Clapton Here

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice, clean, concise site. Here's a little Jimi Hendrix for you. G.

http://everyonewhosanyone.com/audio/GGch23m.mp3

Scott Stambler said...

I'm too lame to figure out how you found this blog (no one else has) but you must have discovered I linked to your site - which is an amazing effort. (and entertaining as hell) Thanks for the comment and the music.

ps - i hope you don't mind my calling your site Literary Star Maps.

Anonymous said...

It takes awhile for people to find your blog but if you keep saying stuff worth saying, they will. I found you through the link to my site...I get a report of who looks at it. The link I left got cut off but the whole fifteen hour free audio book is the first link on the index page...or you can put "jimi hendrix" in the search thing on every page and find it that way. Or "the beatles" or "mozart" or "nervous norvus" or "rock island line" or "yma sumac" or "jerry garcia" or "pigpen" or "kesey" or "billie" or "miles davis" or "plastic jesus" or about a billion other things and find the chapters they're in, too. Thanks. G.