Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Good Morning Chief Bromden

Lately it's been a lot of staring into space with no payoff from space. I am staring for an idea. To the outsider I probably look like BROMDEN.

My wife asks if I can pop in 3 waffles as she hurriedly readies the girls for school. I have not written in days. I would like to tell her I'm busy staring into space waiting for a post.

What passes through my mind is the following excerpt from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

INT. MEN'S DORM - OREGON STATE HOSPITAL - DAWN

Strange HUMMING SOUNDS, CLANKING PIPES and HISSING RADIATORS
as we see beds, with patients lying asleep, line two walls.
The third wall is a heavy gauge steel grill, with a door that
opens on to the day room. The door is open. On the far side
of the day room, a long hallway with other doors opening into
rooms: the latrine, washroom, tub room, mess hall, seclusion
room, psychiatrist's office, visitors' room, etc.

Across the day room, a glass enclosed nurses' station where
TURKLE, a Negro night attendant, is seen preparing to go off
duty.

The CAMERA PANS the beds in the men's dorm. One man turns,
another twists, a third lies as if dead.

CAMERA PAN ENDS on BROMDEN, who lies still, eyes wide open,
very alert. He reaches down, plucks a stale piece of gum from
under the bed frame, puts it in his mouth and starts chewing.


Maybe some gum would help. The wife and kids have left. It's quiet now. No excuses. If we had a clock it would be ticking to distraction. The time is dragging me towards work. I could lie to myself. If I only had enough time I could write the best damn post ever. BUZZ says the BS detector in my head. 'No, really,' BUZZZ. 'Stop calling me a liar!' BUZZ. Okay, uncle.

Why do kids say 'Uncle'? I should google that.

23 comments:

Zen Wizard said...

I am going to guess that "saying Uncle" is short for "Uncle Sam."

Like maybe in the Civil War the guys on the Northern side said, "We'll show them who is in charge, and they will say 'Uncle Sam.'"

(I have absolutely no empirical evidence to back that up...)

Zen Wizard said...

Well, This page says "anacol" means "mercy" in Gaelic, but mine was a good guess.

Me. Here. Right now. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Me. Here. Right now. said...

Some nights, I sit there with the same blank look on my face as my youngest son asks, "Whatcha' bloggin' about tonight, Mom?" Perhaps I'll blog about waffles, my kids like waffles. Yes, it's good how bloggers can give each other solid writing topics like waffles. Thanks, Portnoy.

Sophmom said...

I get my best ideas while in the shower, walking the dog, or driving the car. The Youngest bought me a little tiny hand held recorder to carry with me, just in case. You did alright, just bloggin' about not knowing what to blog about. I love the OFOTCN snippet. What a great movie. Peace, Portnoy (maybe even peace 'n' waffles). :D

joaninha said...

Everybody needs a special moment to write. We have to feel something special to start writing. If someone arrives or the phone rings... we forget the next word... and our writing stops...
It is interesting this post but maybe none gum would help.......
Good week end and best regards

Ballpoint Wren said...

Georganna says block is a result of perfectionism. I think this is true.

Stacy said...

Randomness makes the best blogs..lol

Scott Stambler said...

i appreciate these comments but i must admit to a favorite by Joaninha

"It is interesting this post but maybe none gum would help......."

The biggest problem I have these days is a lack of writing time due to this new high-tension job. Ironically there is a lot of material to write about but i don't think it's a kosher subject to blog.

thus i feel like the blogging momentum has been deflated, yet the comments are still encouraging. Perhaps this is a time to write about things other than hollywood.

ZW, sophmom, lori, bonnie, snowman, Joaninha - happy holidays and other mushy exhortations.

P

ME said...

We miss you, buddy. Blog about whatever, just start talkin'.

Metna said...

You can rest assure that the sexy profile thing worked - Gere caught my eye, but that just got me reading. You seem quite interesting! Blog on

Miao 妙 said...

I love Richard Gere because I find him very charming, and I am also a Buddhist.

Nice to know that you have been mistaken for him before - you must look like him a lot.

Crashdummie said...

The voices inside your head calls you ”Uncle?!?! Dude, that’s weird in so many ways… ;)

Metna said...

reply...

you are not the first to suggest thich nhat hanh to me.

Kierkegaard, is one of my favorites to quote from.

And being into books and movies is definately not a negative thing..

(and it it wasn't 6am with no sleep, this may be close to as 'well written' as my entries try to be)

Tom Bailey said...

I like your blog this is my first visit here. I like the content here. You seem very passionate about your stuff here.

http://sms100.blogspot.com/

ME said...

Oh Portnoy, oh Portnoy ... where fore art thou, Portnoy?

SEO MAKER said...

NICE BLOG EVER.KEEP ON YOUR GOOD WORK

joaninha said...

Hi Portnoy, I'm just coming to say thank you and to send you my best wishes for the Christmas time. A Good New Year
Regards - isabel

High Power Rocketry said...

Yes lets link exchange... I need to update my links before I go on vacation.

Me. Here. Right now. said...

Portnoy - Your adoring audience awaits.

Meowkaat said...

I have taken pity on your lack of things to blog about and tagged you with a delightful Christmas meme. Aren't you happpeeee????
See it at my blog- the Kaat Litter one- and share the joy of the season with the rest of the world.
Happy Hollydays to you, my man!

wcdixon said...

Happy holidays dude...hope the high tension gig doesn't get the better of you and all the best in the new year.

Will

Good Dog said...

Portnoy,

Hope the new job lightens up a little for you to have a happy holiday.

Best wishes for the New Year.